As some of you remember, I had the MOT inspection two days after having brought the KTM 690 Enduro home. The night before I struggled with getting all the required lights (turn signals, plate light and so on) and managed to break the rear right turn signal. So I failed the inspection but without any requirement to go back to reinspect the bike after having corrected that problem. Well, I’ve been slacking off on that “correcting the problem”-part but today I finally got around to do it.
First order of business was to scramble up a turn signal. I always have a bunch of them, leftovers after different projects, but none that matched the working rear left turn signal. I had a couple of robust small, non e-marked ones but they had to be mounted facing backwards and not through the standard sideways fitting holes. Chrome looking LED-lights without any flex would break first thing when leaving the road. The Chinese flush mounts are both ugly and of pisspoor quality.
Suddenly it hit me. Why don’t I do a turn signal transplant from the non-running CBR? The stock lights are big, square and black with a flexible stalk just like the KTM. I was already planning to put some other rear turn signals on the Honda to better fit the new look.
I removed the turn signals, cut the connectors to put another type on and soldered the new ones to the cables. Then I had to cut up the insulation on the cable going from the connector of the wiring harness to the turn signals on the KTM. Somehow the cable had been squeezed somewhere so I had to figure out where and repair the cable. I also soldered the corresponding connectors to the end of the cable and then it was easy enough to connect everything. And it works! As the CBR signals were of the old bulb type, I didn’t even have to use my cables with built in resistance to compensate as I would have had to having used LED ones.
If there is one thing I’m good at, it’s cutting cables and crimping, soldering and making plugs and connectors. I might not be the best when it comes to actually measuring voltage drops of figuring out complex ways to test every electrical issue, but I’m pretty good at figuring out what’s wrong and I am really good at creating a solution when I do know where and what the problem is. My confidence is high when it comes to my own wiring work. This might sound like I’m bragging, which I am, but in my youth I worked as a test engineer for a while, getting all kinds of soldering certificates and most of those skills are still there.
All that is left now is removing the bolt stuck in the tank so I can use proper bolts and tighten everything in a correct manner. But it does feel good knowing that I finally have a, legally speaking, fault free bike.