Man with a mission

11822812_10153100439530922_3720793910308310134_nNobody wants to quit a race the last hundred yards, especially not me. Yesterday I didn’t get much done in the man cave due to some unexpected turn of events (the Nite Ryderz wanted to go for a cup of coffee instead), so today my goal was clear: To finish the Honda. Did I succeed in that mission? Well, both yes and no…

The weather men have promised a really nice weekend so I was and still am fighting a tough deadline, but today I accomplished a lot of my set goals. I had barely entered the man cave before I was done mounting the tank. First I had to clean the damn bolt hole since the powder coaters managed to fuck that up too, and then I couldn’t find one of the bolts so instead I used a bold to the radiator and replaced the radiator bolt with another. That’s the best thing about seeing stuff as a system rather than individual parts: you know where you can cheat and how that will affect something else.

With the tank in place, I went to town with the rear turn signals. A little bit of soldering connectors, installing the new and completely useless Chinese resistance to lower the frequency and that part was in shape. At the last moment I decided to use the metallic turn signals I used to have in the front not to risk any complains when taking the MOT inspection.

Time to readjust the leather of the seat. I had to replace the old one with a new set when the old one was torn but I didn’t manage to do a great job back then. Lack of tools and skills were to blame. Still lack both but I did a heck of better job today and with a bit of violence I got the seat back on. Best part is that I could do it without having to remove the quick connector to the CTEK charger I had installed.

Then I went forward again, and this time it was the headlight and from turn signals I adjusted and locked into place while at the same time securing the wiring to the front lighting. I also wired a pick up wire on one of the ignition coils to get the electrical tachometer working. With all this done I was pretty much set and ready for a test ride in the garage when I noticed something…

Having removed the clipons and put on some fatbars with risers, and crammed most of the wiring in the area beneath the airbox, the clutch cable was a tad too short which meant it would activate every time I turn right. Not that great… I tried to find a solution that would allow for some slack but in the end I decided to do it right and get a longer cable. I actually decided to get one of these “Make your own cable” universal sets from Venhill UK along with some tools and a roadside repair kit. This will postpone my debut (and the MOT inspection) at least a week but having waited this long, I can wait some more.

11825229_10153100402835922_4719119891298975094_nI rolled out the bike to see if it started. No problem. I’ve encountered two bikes that always start and it is my CBR and my buddy’s Yamaha XS400 -82. Not counting the time where everything electrical shut down, the Honda has always been a good runner, no matter what temperature or circumstances.

I could see the pickup wire did its job because the tachobars of the Acewell (Get it? Taco bar like in a tacho with bar graph?) showed. Were they correct? Don’t really know but at least something is being picked up. I then put my feet down and tried to get some speed on the Honda to see if the electrical adapter to my old mechanical system would work. I hit 4,6 km/h so I think it works. Good on me.

To be honest, I do feel a little bit scared riding this thing after all I’ve done but playing the entire process in my head, I know I’ve been pretty thorough with all the important parts (engine, brakes, drive, electronics, fuel and stuff. I might have taken a shortcut or two when it comes to which bolt to use to clamp down a plastic detail but nothing really serious. It should run pretty okay. Not perfect but okay. I might even carb synch the thing to match the new airless conditions due to the me jamming everything into the frame. Hopefully I’ll have many more years with this bike and if not, well, I wouldn’t know so much about wrenching if I hadn’t dared to try…