Blood, sweat and oil

BadassBikeFive hours of intense wrenching and what do I have to show for it? Not that much really, but still closer to my goal: getting my CBR 600 to pass the Swedish MOT inspection. Today I took a few small steps towards that goal and a pretty giant leap backwards. The net worth is still a forward motion though…

ISuzukiMOT got up really early this morning to get my brother’s Suzuki GSX 750 to the MOT inspection. It passed with flying colors. No complaints, but rather a few positive remarks. The woman before me wasn’t so lucky though. When the inspector was to test ride her bike, it wouldn’t start. Apparently her starter motor decided to call it quits right there and then. She had to walk to work. When it was my turn to enter the inspection area, her bike was leaking fuel and a closer look revealed that she somehow had managed to get the airbox full of fuel too. Don’t ask me what happened there…

After work I was in the mood for some wrenching. I started out with measuring how long the new clutch cable should be but didn’t get around to do it at first because I remembered I had to reroute the choke cable. That meant removing the seat, tank and air box. With that out of the way, I thought I should do something about the wire harness, more specifically get that rubber heat shield in between the engine and the wiring.

While doing that, I decided to reroute the throttle cables too while I was at it. It took me a while to get that mess into place before I could put everything back and continue the clutch wire fabrication with the Venhill universal clutch cable kit. The instructions were there but fairly poor so I decided to go with the old trusted trial-and-error-method.

NewClutchOn purpose, I made the cable too long in case I’ll make some other modifications one day. It was a bit too long though, so I had to heat the solder again to break the end loose and fit it a second time. But then it was pretty much what I had in mind.

Time to go for a short test ride in the garage. I had some initial problems with it stalling when giving the throttle a twist but it disappeared as the bike got warmed up. I’ll investigate that later, but today I decided it started well enough.

The ride itself was pretty smooth. The front brakes are crisp as hell, but the rear brake feels a little bit spongy. The speedometer has to be calibrated too as it shows to high a speed right now. But in the grand scheme of things, I was pretty satisfied. After having redone the wiring and routing, almost all of the squeaky sounds and obstructions were gone.

Then I discovered something. A drop of oil underneath the bike. I looked and looked, and eventually found some oil on the engine. I looked further and discovered a leak from the valve cover. SHIT! I replaced the old seals and gaskets, and it hadn’t been leaking before. What was different now? I continued my inspection and then it hit me: I hadn’t tightened the bolts enough the third and last time I checked the timing. Stupid me, right?

Now I have all the stuff on top of it, but I managed to tighten four of the bolts without removing anything and I think I’ll be able to do the rest without too much of a hassle but the problem is I have some unwanted obligations tomorrow. So now I’m torn between what I want and a duty call. Let’s decide tomorrow…